Semiconductor test equipment supplier Advantest Corporation has joined the UN Global Compact (UNGC), a global initiative of the United Nations, and the Global Compact Network Japan, a local network based in Japan.
The UNGC is a special initiative of the UN Secretary-General which encourages companies and organizations to exert responsible and creative social leadership and to participate in creating a global framework for sustainable growth. Companies and organizations that join are required to make a commitment to ten universal principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.
As part of company’s corporate mission of „Enabling the leading-edge technology“, they have framed ESG issues as a crucial element of its mid/long-term management policy announced in April 2018. They are committed to contributing to a sustainable future and helping to solve problems within global society by delivering greater safety, security, and comfort through semiconductor test. The company’s participation in the UNGC aligns with its initiatives to promote ESG management at a higher level across the Advantest group by engaging with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations, which provide a framework for contributing to the resolution of social issues.
The ten principles of the UN Global Compact are:
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour; and
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Principle10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.